Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Smores Tartlettes

For someone who primarily bakes, I'm not much of a sweets eater. If my life depended on the choice between sweet versus savory, I'd choose savory hands down. I love salt so much so that I used to just moisten my fingers, dip them in salt, and then proceed to lick it off my fingers. So... basically, when I get kidney stones, I'll know exactly why and who to blame.
When I made these smores tartlettes, I wasn't expecting to love them much. When I do enjoy sweets, I usually prefer ones on the less sweet side. These, filled with a rich chocolate ganache and topped with toasty marshmallows seemed like they would be much too rich for my own taste, which is why I chose to make them as a present for someone else. But as I tasted these teeny little tartlettes, I was surprised by how much I was drawn to them. They're actually the perfect treat! I love when I prove myself wrong.
Smores Tartlettes
Yields: 10 mini tarts
Original recipe here.

For the crust:
1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
5 tbsn. unsalted butter

For the filling:
5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tbsn. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
pinch of salt (I used fleur de sell)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

mini marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter until well blended and crumbly. Transfer the mixture to the mini tart pans and use your fingers to press the graham crackers into the pan. Bake until set and golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Place the chocolate in a medium bowl. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk and butter until warm and the butter is melted. Stir to combine and pour the hot milk mixture over the chocolate. Let stand for several minutes, then stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the salt and vanilla and let cool completely. Pour into the mini crusts and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours. Right before serving, press a layer of mini marshmallows into the chilled ganache. Use a blow torch to toast the marshmallows until golden brown.

5 comments:

  1. wow this is such a cute idea! I love the idea of s'mores tartlettes!
    Also...I'm with you on the savory! =)
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg these look freaking delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG i'm dying. these are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so simple but so delicious, can't wait to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete