Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I love oatmeal! It's especially great for breakfast now that I'm back at school. It's funny because when I'm at school I seem to get extra hungry than normal - I guess it's because all of that hard brain usage. That's why it's really important for me to have a good, nutritious breakfast that fills me up and tastes delicious.
I love baking oatmeal because I can just bake large batches at a time and re-heat it for school during the week. I know this isn't the optimal way to eat it but it really helps when I'm in a pinch for time. If you're not, share this warm, yummy oatmeal with your whole family! I love finding new ways to eat oatmeal, otherwise it can get quite boring. My favorites? Fresh fruit always keeps things interesting! Bruleed? Even more interesting! You can add so many things, it's so fun! Nuts, granola, yogurt, chocolate, spices, honey or anything your heart desires - so have fun with it!

Baked Oatmeal
Yields: about 6 - 8 servings
Slightly modified from original recipe, which can be found here.

2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup steel cut oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (or more to your taste)
2 cups milk
2/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup cooking oil (I used coconut oil)
2 cups fresh fruit, of your choice (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a baking dish, set aside. In a large bowl combine the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar. In another bowl, combine the milk, applesauce and oil. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix to combine. Place mixture into a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently stir the mixture, then fold in the fruit, if desired. Bake for another 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Serve warm and top with yogurt, cream, granola, more fruit or whatever you'd like!

11 comments:

  1. Wow this looks amazing. I have been eating a lot of oatmeal and the idea of browing the bananas is really appealing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whata great sounding bfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these photos are stunning... I'm gonna have to try this oatmeal, I'm sure my family will go bananas over it (no pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wondercrump! I made this for breakfast with a bit of cardamom and it was splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oatmeal is my weakness! I am so excited you share the same affinity I have for Oats!! I like mine with maple syrup, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice.. sometimes some vanilla creamer on top or fruit mixed in.. maybe some pb and jam or even cocoa if I'm feeling chocolatey :) Cant wait to try this! is it morning yet?! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love baked oatmeal too. The bananas make this one extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    This looks amazing and beautiful! Any chance I can use almond milk instead of regular milk? THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Anonymous: Yes, you could substitute almond milk or soy milk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was SO good! I didn't have applesauce, so I used two over-ripe bananas, smashed up. I also used almond milk, added chopped pecans and raisins. And made a streusel-like topping for a little crunch. It was awesome. Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete