Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sprinkles {Newport Beach, CA}

I've been to Sprinkles a couple of times before. The flavor that first broke my Sprinkles virginity was a strawberry cake with strawberry icing. I've had strawberry cupcakes before and had horrible, and I mean really horrendous experiences. They tasted so phony and full of ingredients you couldn't even pronounce let alone find the origin of. But sprinkles was different, all I could taste was pure intense strawberry flavor. It won me right then and there.

Their simple display:
Simply tucked away:
Chai Latte on the left, Pumpkin on the right:
It's calling you, "EAT ME."
And eat it, we definitely did:
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a Sprinkles die hard fanatic. I can definitely live without them. We all could live without a lot of things, but life isn't about what we need, it's about what we want. Going through life without wants is like not going through life at all. It's just a cupcake when you think about it, just a damn cupcake, and a $3.25 cupcake at that! But they are delicious and there is no denying it.

The other day I decided to try some more flavors. Though I was heavily inclined into buying their famous red velvet, my love for chai and spiced pumpkin wooed me over. Though the chai flavor wasn't the kick in the mouth that I had hoped for, the nicely spiced cake became friends with my mouth immediately. The pumpkin was all I could have asked for: moist, earthy, delicious. Usually I am not the greatest fan to frosting; I absolutely hate overladen cupcakes! But what is special about Sprinkles is that their cupcakes and frosting combinations are perfectly sweet, at least for me. I lick the frosting till the last spot is gone, and that's pretty rare for me.

6 comments:

  1. I love sprinkle cupcakes and confess I have not been there in a while.. But seeing these is worth a trip back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have been there in Beveryly Hills. The vanilla one was the one that won my heart. I tried chocolate and another one too but man, the vanilla is to die for. They know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that the vanilla was awesome, but didn't want to just try the vanilla... I'm definitely gonna try that next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, those cupcakes look LOVELY! I have yet to hit up Sprinkles, but it's on the TO EAT list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried Sprinkles Cupcakes for the first time almost 2 weeks ago. My roommate's fiancee got a bunch for her birthday and brought me a couple of specific ones per my request - Chai and Chocolate Marshmallow. I was personally very disappointed. I thought the chai was seriously lacking in chai flavor. And while the chocolate marshmallow cake part was really good, I just...I feel like I've had better cupcakes in general. We have a cupcake place near campus that is actually better than Sprinkles (I think).

    And I don't like those little sugar things on top. Sprinkles cupcakes are more of a novelty than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. for all of my fellow vegans out there (or if you're just trying to be a bit healthier!): Sprinkles makes a vegan red velvet that is TO DIE for. seriously. i've had a couple of other flavors (chai latte, regular red velvet, chocolate coconut) before turning vegan this past May, and although they were def yummy, the vegan red velvet takes the cake :D (pun intended.) the texture is just as fluffy and moist and the icing is EVEN better since they make it with coconut oil instead of butter... delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete